Applied Optimization Job Description
Job Title: Physics/Astronomy Intern Reports to: Team Lead
FLSA Status: Part-Time (Non-Exempt)
- Applied Optimization is an engineering R&D firm working on day and night observations of the sky in the visible and infrared, along with archiving, reporting, and analyzing the collected data.
- This is a challenging position with direct hands-on responsibility for high quality data acquisition, reporting, analysis, and interpretation.
- Meticulous, detail-oriented individual who brings consistent quality and reliability to the collection and analysis of astronomy data.
- Support the collection, reduction, and analysis of astronomy data using ground-based telescope equipment.
- Support optical engineering modifications of new generation telescope equipment.
- Perform astronomy experiments to support customer requirements.
- Implement procedures for automation of astronomy data collection.
- Currently enrolled in a BS in astronomy, physics, or equivalent, with superior academic record.
- Knowledge or experience in navigating astronomical coordinate systems and the night sky.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Effective problem solving and debugging skills.
- Attention to detail and effective time and schedule management skills.
- Ability to adapt within a small team to support evolving customer requirements.
- Ability to travel to customer sites for technical support.
- Aptitude for software development using C++, Python, or macros for off-the-shelf astronomy software is highly desirable.
- Knowledge or experience in astronomical data collection, reduction, and analysis.
- Knowledge of optics software such as ZEMAX.
Citizenship/Security Clearance Requirements:
- U.S. Person
- Eligibility to obtain a Department of Defense security clearance
About Our Internships:
Hours: The internship is a part-time, year-round position that requires a minimum of sixteen hours per week of work. The hours are flexible, and they can change from one quarter to another based on class schedule. The weekly hours can be adjusted to balance for the examinations, tests, and project submissions.
Applied Optimization is a growing organization located in Fairborn, OH. We are an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive salary that is commensurate with qualifications and a comprehensive benefits package. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
This job description is subject to change.
To apply, please email your resume to HR@appliedo.com.