Applied Optimization Job Description
Job Title: Applied Mathematician Intern Reports to: Team Lead
FLSA Status: Part-Time (Non-Exempt) Department: Space Science
- To support an interdisciplinary team that collects data, analyzes, and implements new generation scientific algorithms in space science through mathematical modeling, statistical analysis, and computer code development.
- Support in carrying out hypothesis testing through statistical analysis methods to analyze and interpret data results
- Provide support in creating and enhancing mathematical models that attempt to recreate reality in an astronomical setting
- Collaborate in creating, enhancing, and debugging code
- Perform verification and quality assurance for new and existing software
- Create presentations, papers, and reports to convey statistical analysis, mathematical modeling, and coding development to customers
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree or higher in Mathematics, Statistics, or equivalent, with a consistently superior academic record in Mathematics
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Effective problem solving
- Attention to detail and effective time and schedule management skills
- Ability to adapt within a small team to support evolving customer requirements
- A minor or dual degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Theoretical knowledge and experience in object modeling and software development
- Experience implementing data structures
- Experience with Java and/or C++ coding
Citizenship/Security Clearance Requirements:
- U.S. Person
- May be required to obtain and maintain U.S. Government Security Clearance
About Our Internships:
Hours: The internship is a part-time, year-round position that requires a minimum of sixteen hours per week of work. The hours are flexible, and they can change from one quarter to another based on class schedule. The weekly hours can be adjusted to balance for the examinations, tests, and project submissions.
Applied Optimization is a growing organization located in Fairborn, OH. We are an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive salary that is commensurate with qualifications and a comprehensive benefits package. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
This job description is subject to change.
To apply, please email your resume to HR@appliedo.com.